Golden Pecan Bars
1-1/2 (170 g) sticks unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup (131 g) granulated sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
2 TB Canola oil
2-3/4 cups (330 g) unbleached all-purpose flour
1-1/3 cups (146 g) firmly packed light brown sugar
1 stick (8 tablespoons/113 g) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1/2 cup (120 mil) honey
1/4 cup (60 mil) half & half
3-3/4 cups (14 ounces/397 g) pecans, chopped
Directions:1. Preheat oven to 375° F/190° C.
2. CRUST: In the bowl of the stand mixer, cream together the softened butter, granulated sugar, and salt until the mixture is light and fluffy. Then beat in the eggs.
3. Add the flour and stir the mixture until it is just blended.
4. Press the mixture evenly into the jelly-roll pan and bake it in the middle of the preheated for 15 to 20 minutes, or until it is lightly golden. Remove and allow to cool in the pan on a rack.
5. PECAN TOPPING: (Make while the crust bakes.) In the saucepan combine the brown sugar, butter pieces, honey, and half-and-half. Bring the mixture to a boil over moderate heat, stirring. Stir in the chopped pecans and let the mixture cool a little. If it cools for too long, it will be hard to spread.
6. Spread the cool pecan mixture evenly over the shortbread base and bake the dessert in the middle of the oven for 15 minutes, or until the top is bubbly. Let the dessert cool in the pan on a rack and cut it into pieces about 2 inches square. Makes about 35 pieces.